11/05/2020

Magic to the Bone, #1

Allie would rather moonlight as a Hound 
ISBN 0451462408
(ISBN13: 9780451462404)
than accept the family fortune - and the strings that come with it. All magic use has costs -- hers include migraines and memory loss. She finds a boy dying from a magic Offload with her father's signature, then her father is murdered. Allie's search for the truth calls on her country friend and the handsome man originally assigned as her bodyguard. Someone is forging magic signatures -- and hers is on her dead father.



355 pages
Published November 4th 2008
(New American Library)

First Impression
Magic to the Bone tells the story of Allie, a down-on-her-luck 25 year old woman who has try and make bed meet with low pay hound work.
Taking her black book and pen to help with her memory loss Allie goes to help the superstitious Mama Rossitto after receiving a call about a boy been hurt. 
Upon arriving and seeing the boy she finds that it is a serious problem and use of magic and begins to deal with the situation.

My Rating ⭐⭐
Changing from 1st person when discussing Allie and to 3rd person when talking about Cody. 
I found Magic to the Bone to be very bland, telling the tale of Allie Beckstrom and how the events of her dad been dead with her own magical signature on him leads to danger and betrayal in unexpected places.
I was disappointed as a there could have been so much more to the plot than there was which I felt let The book down, leaving it a chore to read in some parts.
I also felt The spacing between each paragraph was very off putting. 
I don't know if I would recommend it as it just left me feeling 'meh' but I would be willing to read the next book in the series, Magic in the Blood before deciding whether to give the series a miss it not.

Quotes

“...Magic is a heartless bitch, and she's had me by the throat for years.”

2 comments: